Friday, October 31, 2008

Bewitching Costumes


Happy BOO DAY, Everyone! I love Halloween, always have. Maybe it's the idea of slipping into silly costumes and pretending, if only for awhile, that we are somebody ELSE. Somebody who might not be quite normal, which of course, we all really are. Maybe.

Yesterday Kelley was talking with us about her kids' Halloween costumes. They are little ones and I had to say...ahhhhhh. It brought back so many memories of things my kiddos wore for Trick or Treat. Do you have some of the same memories?

Now I'll admit, I always spared no expense when it came to costumes. Yeah, I'm silly that way but I always just figured they are only young once and I want GREAT pics for the scrapbooks. I have a son and a daughter. My son is grown and gone now and my daughter is a high school senior so there isn't more dressing up around here and I have to say I miss it. So after I talked with Kelley about the costumes and the little ones, I started to think about some of the things my kids wore. Boys always seem to want to do spooky stuff but my very favorite of his was when he was very little, about four, and I bought him a spider costume. The body of it featured a big padded belly and the spider legs were attached to his arms and back with heavy black string. The back of the costume had "tails" like on a tuxedo. A head piece included a colorful bow tie and top hat. It was the cutest thing ever. I didn't feel so bad spending the money on it because later I sent the costume to my sister in Florida and my son wore my nephew's very cool costume the following year. So...we share the love in my family.

My little girl was almost always a witch with tulle, sequins, satin and lace. Once she was a ladybug with the cute red sequined wings and matching headbang with glittery antenna. I've also bought those neat little butterfly/fairy wings that attach at the arms with elastic. Inexpensive and easy to work with.

What kinds of cool costumes have you done for your kids OR for yourself? Any funny, funny ideas?

7 comments:

Kelley Nyrae said...

This year my four year old is Scooby Doo. It's a really cute costume. The baby will be a butterfly. I'm excited for tonight. Love to see my kiddos dressed up.

Anny Cook said...

My granddaughters are going to be princesses tonight. They're such clothes horses...

Regina Carlysle said...

I knew about Miss Scooby but didn't know what you were doing about Miss Itty Bitty. AHHHHH a Butterfly. Everyone is going to throw a FIT about these two.

Regina Carlysle said...

Typical girls, huh, ANny? Aren't they all clothes horses at just about any age? Hope you get some cute pics.

Tonya said...

I have 4 kids....and we love dressing up for Halloween. This year my oldest daughter and all her friends are being hip hop stars. My 9 year old daughter is being a surgeon, my 4 year old daughter is a super cute and warm butterfly and my 2 year old boy is a lion....he will be toasty warm as well.

My mom always made our costumes and they were great!!! My favorites were my unicorn and a bunch of purple grapes!! My brother was an awesome woody wood pecker and He-Man!!! Soooo cool. The He-Man was made out of nude colored long johns with muscles sewed in from the underside.....soooo cool!!!!

Enjoy your fun evening!!!

Anne Rainey said...

my kids always do the store bought costume. Alisha has been: Scooby, Clifford, A Dalmation, Scream dude, an Ohio State Buckeye fan...Kati has been: an empress, a which twice, Dorothy, a cheerleader, a genie.

when I was younger I usually went as something like a gyspy or a ghost.

Amy Ruttan said...

My 5 year old daughter is Cinderella again ... basically cause the costume still fits. My 2 year old boy is going as Tigger. I'm really looking forward next year to when this bun in my oven will celebrate it's first Halloween. He/she should be about 4 months then and I'm planning on dressing the munchkin up as a pumpkin. :)