Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It's not a real job....




Ever find that a lot of people who don't write, also don't consider it work? I've gotten that so much lately I'm about to freakin' pull out my hair! No, I don't work outside my home but I DO stay at home with my kids and I DO write. Yes, even though I enjoy writing it IS a job. I was talking with an extended family member the other day. She mentions how nice it must be to stay at home with my kids. I of course agree because even though there are days I again want to pull out my hair, I know I am lucky my kiddos are with me all day and not in daycare. Then she kind of laughs a little bit and teases me about being lucky enough to just hang out and play all day. Um, excuse me? Play all day? I wish! I in turn laugh it off and then casually bring up the fact that I not only take care of two young children but I also write from home. Her response, "Yeah, but that's not like real work."

At this point I'm chanting in my head, Calm down, Kelley. Deep breaths, in and out.
After said calming breaths I ask her what she means by that. I have deadlines like everyone else. Guidelines of what's expected of me. The list goes on. By then she can tell she's upset me and it's back peddle time. "I just mean, you get to do what you like and work from home and it's not as if it takes up a lot of your time." By this time I'm seeing red and my hubby, takes one look at my face and casually drags me away, suddenly needing my help somewhere. I just don't get why so many people don't see writing as a real job. I get it all the time in some way, shape, or form. So many people think that just anyone can sit down and write a book. Maybe they can and maybe they can't but that doesn't mean it's easy. That doesn't mean its not a real job.

Do you get the whole, you don't have a real job thing from people you know? Are you sick and tired of people thinking writing a book is the easiest thing in the world?

On a side note I'm running TWO contests today. The first is at my erotic blog Madison Scott It's easy to enter and you are entered in a drawing for a free book!

The second one is at my Kelley Nyrae

If you get a chance, check them out.

9 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

OH BOY...do I EVER get that. Talk about a hot button issue with me. Yes, it's nice to be at home and not have to hustle out to a day job but writing is very demanding. Especially when you have dozens of titles to promote PLUS meeting deadlines and THEN taking care of all the house stuff. I swear, it's like running a big business.

I honestly think those who aren't writers don't get it.

These days more and more people work from home and I don't think anyone tells them they aren't working. This attitude just seems to apply to writers. I may be wrong but that's how it seems to me.

cornelia amiri said...

Fantastic post. Thanks for writing about this it's one of my pet peeves.

Elle Parker said...

I think you did a better job keeping your cool than I would have...



Elle Parker
http://elleparkerbooks.blogspot.com/

Anne Rainey said...

It's already started for me since summer began. There's one person in particular who thinks that since it's summertime, I suddenly have all this free time to have her kid (i.e use me as a free sitter) over all the time. Um, nope. I STILL have deadlines. I STILL have writing to do. I STILL have revisions, promo, two kids of my own, and a house to take care of. NO I'M REALLY NOT SITTING ON THE COUCH EATING BON BONS ALL DAY!!!!

*whew*
Thanks for letting me vent. Ugh! This is a HUGE HUGE issue with me. I just want to scream!

Kelley Nyrae said...

Isn't it crazy? I don't understand how people think.

Amelia said...

I get it!! I'm a teacher and so many people think teachers don't do anything either. Teaching more and more is becoming a year round job as we attend conferences and work on many things in our homes as we don't have enough time at school do everything required of us.

Sandra Fowke said...

Oh yeah, I know that one. I have three children and I write. You are my hero for staying calm, I would have given her the rundown on just what my day including a tape of: "Mum, can I have a drink - Mum micheal hit me, Mum!" lol

Great Post!

Sandy Lender said...

OMG. Yes.
The thing is...my day job is writing and editing for a magazine. So people in my life get that. Then at night and on weekends, I do the fiction writing and marketing, which they DON'T get. Even after the publication of my first novel, my father told me I shouldn't spend so much time and energy on the writing and promoting; I should be focused on my career.
Sigh.
I just have to focus on what I want to do and ignore the people who try to distract me.
Sandy Lender
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Unknown said...

Kelly, it is soooooooooo much your job. But it's a job that you love almost as much as your kids.

Or at least that's how I think of it.:-)

All the best.