Thursday, August 20, 2009

putting things into perspective


Tuesday night I got a call that put things into perspective for me. My dad's in the hospital. He's suffered two mini strokes. The artery on the left side of his neck is majorly blocked. He'll need surgery, we're just not sure how soon because his brain needs to heal a bit before they can chance it. Top that with some heart irregularities and you have quite the problem.

Luckily, he's in a good hospital, the nurses have been wonderful and the surgeon consulting w/ him has been on the ball.

All this has had me pausing and looking at my life. So many times we stress about the little things. Worry over a bad review, a few extra inches around the middle, a bad hair day. When something like this happens everything just slides away and all that really matters is spending time with the people you love. The laundry piling up, the errands that need to be taken care, none of it matters. It's all just stuff.

Yesterday, when I was at the hospital watching my once very strong father lay in that bed completely at the mercy of the nurses and doctors, it made me realize that I don't spend enough time with family. It was a wake-up call for me. The first thing that popped into my head was, 'I'm not ready for them to be old'. I know it sounds selfish, but I just sort of figured they'd always be around. Our parents are our rock. We lean on them, no matter how old we get. They're always there to make us feel better, always there to offer a shoulder or a hug. We take that for granted. At least I did.

Anyway, if you have a second, please send my dad some healing thoughts. It's been stressful for all of us and we just want dad better. We want to see him in his easy chair, drinking his coffee, and bitching about the government. In other words, back to normal.

Thanks!

6 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

I think the day to day worries and stresses just fade away in the face of these kinds of things, Anne! They certainly put everything into perspective. Sending positive vibes and lots of prayers your way!

Kelley Nyrae said...

My thoughts are with your guys. Reg said it perfectly, other stresses fade away in situations like this.

Unknown said...

Positive thoughts coming your way.

Unknown said...

Sending all my happy thoughts to you, your dad and your family.

I've recently got back in touch with my own dad after 10 years and i have to admit i've missed him so much and am glad i made the choice to get in touch before anything happened to him. I'd have hated to not see him again.

Hope he feels better soon x

Bekki Lynn said...

All the best wishes for your dad, you and your family, Anne.

It does put things in perspective.

Anne Rainey said...

Thanks, folks. Dad is home and on blood thinners. We'll be watching him carefully over the next several weeks until he has the surgery to clean out his blocked artery.