Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The power of music






I'm a big music fan. To me, nothing compares to hearing a good musician live. Last night I had the pleasure to see on of my favorite singer/song writers, Bobby Long perform. This wasn't my first time to see him. I've been lucky enough to see him about five times in the past year, but he never ceases to amaze me. Each time is like the first time, but at the same time, it's like you're seeing an old friend. His lyrics almost make you feel like you know him, like he's showing you little glimpses into his soul with each word he speaks. With each strum of his guitar.

I've once heard his music compare to musical poetry and that perfectly describes it to me. I lose myself standing in that crowd, singing along and letting the music wash over me. Even seeing him for fifth time, I still get a little teary eyed when he plays Being a Mockingbird. And last night, I was lucky enough that he played one of my favorite songs, Sad Woman Blues when I requested it.

Good music has the power to transfer you to a different place, much like the books we write or read. I read for escapism and I get that same private little getaway from all the stresses of my life when I step into that dim bar, and watch Bobby Long up on the stage with his guitar. It's mesmerizing. For that hour I step into a different world. I think that's one of the signs of a talented musician much like it is the sign of a good book.

He's not yet signed, but I have no doubts that he is going places. I feel blessed that I'm experiencing his music from the beginning and can't wait for the chance to hear him again. If you're in the Los Angeles area, he'll be at the Hotel Cafe again tonight.

Is music a form of escapism for you? Who are some of your favorite performers that you've seen live?

I'll leave you with a video of Bobby performing one of my favorite songs, Left to Lie.

3 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

WOW, I haven't been to a concert in years but the best ones I've seen were Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney. Clapton's concert was my very favorite. However, a group doesn't have to be famous for me to love their music. I love nothing better than the soft jazz played in small clubs.

Anne Rainey said...

I only ever went to one concernt. Poison. I was half in love with that band. Still a great memory for me!

I listen to music when I need to forget about my problems, yes. Nickelback usually, or Kid Rock. I don't listen to music when I write. Sometimes before I get started, just to get myself in the mood, but not during. :)

britpacksuccubus said...

Beautiful, sweets! I wish I could have been with ya as I miss him and you so. :)