Thursday, October 22, 2009

reading...and other stuff!



I have a new favorite! "Born of Night" by Sherrilyn Kenyon is by far the best book I've read this year! Fantastic beginning to (hopefully) a fantastic new series!


A blurb:



In the Ichidian Universe, The League and their ruthless assassins rule all. Expertly trained and highly valued, the League Assassins are the backbone of the government. But not even the League is immune to corruption ...


Command Assassin Nykyrian Quikiades once turned his back on the League—and has been hunted by them ever since. Though many have tried, none can kill him or stop him from completing his current mission: to protect Kiara Zamir, a woman whose father’s political alliance has made her a target.


As her world becomes even deadlier, Kiara must entrust her life to the same kind of beast who once killed her mother and left her for dead. Old enemies and new threaten them both and the only way they can survive is to overcome their suspicions and learn to trust in the very ones who threaten them the most: each other.
The second book is due out November 3rd and I've already preordered it! I can't wait!
If you aren't sure you'll like it, you can read the first 100pages for free on this site
Also, you can read more about The League series here
***
Next, I have to mention this because it's driving me crazy. Have you seen Barnes & Noble's new Nook? Reminds me a LOT of the Kindle. It looks really nice, but the part that got me is this:
Lend eBooks to friends.
nook lets you loan eBooks to friends, free of charge. Remember, what goes around comes around.
Um, how is that okay?? Is it just me or does that seem like a really BAD thing for epubbed authors??
***
The last thing I want to mention. My website. It's been revamped and I've been busy adding and tweaking. Not only can you read the first chapter of ALL my current releases, but you can also see an image (hot hunk) of what *I* think the hero in each of my books looks like. And you can also read one of my favorite quotes by each of those sexy guys! Here's an example
There are a few pages without images and quotes still, but I'm working on it! Searching out the right hunk is a long dirty process. LOL

12 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

The new series looks GREAT. I love her work! Must pick this one up.

Yes, I've been hearing about the NOOK too. The price is certainly right. Looks like it does everything the Kindle does but there ARE some serious questions about the lending thing. This sounds so much like file sharing to me. I wonder if they'll clarify this?

Anne Rainey said...

Exactly...it just SEEMS to me like their condoning piracy, even promoting it. I mean...???

Anonymous said...

My understanding is that you can share the book for 14 days. During that time you don't have access to the file. Probably a lot like what my public library does with their ebooks.

As a reader, I love the idea. It's like lending a print book to a friend. I am sure they have thought out logistics

I just wish I had access to it. Being in Canada limits me from a lot of cool stuff.

Unknown said...

What Natasha said. I keep reading about people reacting to it without knowing that, and people have been reacting to the reacting. Heck, I was guilty of it too! But I'm relieved to hear safeguards are in place and rights of BOTH parties are protected.

Anne Rainey said...

Natasha--So, you can send the file to a friend's Nook, they can read it, but after 14 days, it's taken off their Nook? And during that sharing period the friend can't send it to anyone else?

Adrianne--No, I don't know anything about it, which is why I brought it up here. But, I'm NOT happy with the way they've worded thing son the B&N site. I feel they should make it more clear that this is a proprietary thing.

Rita Hestand said...

Well, the lending thing is not new, anyone can lend a book, so that's nothing to be alarmed about. Most people who buy books, don't lend them out unless they are print.

I'm guessing if you have a reader, you won't be lending it to anyone.

It isn't a new concept.

the Nook is nice looking thin, and all, and holds enough for a library. However, I still like the old Ebookwise reader because it has a backlight and you can read in the dark. How can you beat that, and the price is over $100 cheaper.

I just hope they don't phaze it out since they own all of this now.

Love and blessings
Rita

Anonymous said...

@ Anne - that's it exactly. Same thing happens with my public library. I can only open with certain program (can't even put on my iPhone - not compatable) and in 14 days the certificate (or something like that) expires and it will no longer open.

Anne Rainey said...

Rita--It IS good to see more reading devices out there. Competition brings prices down!

Natasha--Cool! You've made me feel MUCH better about this thing! I'm SOOO glad I blogged about this!

Kelley Nyrae said...

I'm excited to read Kenyon's series. It looks great.

I chimed in late on the nook but I like what I've learned about it from the comments

Asylumgirl said...

I thought the same thing, but it probably only means friends with Nooks and that's probably not going to be that many.

Deidre

Anonymous said...

Friends with nooks, or friends who have the appropriate App on their smart phones (iPhone, blackberry,etc)

Anne Rainey said...

Kelley--I think you'll love this new series, I really do!

Deidre--Yeah, Natasha cleared it up for me. I was REALLY confused there for awhile. LOL Glad I blogged about it, otherwise I'd still be in the dark!