Monday, March 15, 2010

Book throwing moment...beware!


So, this weekend I started reading a book. One I've been looking forward to reading forEVER. It's by one of my favorite authors and all her books have been keepers--with the exception of a few. This one, which I feel I've waited my entire life to read, has, thus far, been rather disappointing. In fact, I'm ready to strangle the heroine. Then dig a hole and bury her. Then maybe dig her back up and shoot her.


Yes, she's THAT frustrating. Once again, I get that heroines these days need to be tough, rough, hard as nails, and all that jazz. But do they have to be totally annoying and just downright cruel?? Is that really necessary??


I'm not going to mention the author's name or the book title, not even in a private email so don't ask me. LOL Let's just say that I will buy more of her books. I will finish this one, because I may end up totally surprised and find that the story HAD to be told this way. In fact, I'm sure it had to be told this way. Otherwise the author would've written it differently. Correct?

This is where it comes in handy to be an author who also reads a lot. I can see between the lines. I can understand why the author felt it was necessary to give the hero a woman who has the ability to be a hardass. Like tough love, I suppose.


That being said, this book will not be a favorite of mine. I won't reread it several times until I need to buy another copy because this one is falling apart. And I won't tell all my reader buddies that they have to buy it or miss out on a really great read. So, while I know the author has to write what her heart tells her, I don't necessarily have to like it. The thing is, I sort of wish her heart had been saying something else! LOL


Now that I've vented, I need to ask you all a question. How frustrated do you get when you're reading a book by an author you admire and come to the conclusion that you're having to force yourself to read each damn word? That you are soooo not enjoying her latest release. Does it frustrate you more when it's one of your favorite authors?? Does it make you want to quit reading her books all together?


Personally, I feel like all authors are entitled to a few misses. They can't all be THE BEST BOOK EVER, right? So, while I'm hating on this book, I will also look forward to her next release, because the truth is...no one is perfect.

15 comments:

Laurann Dohner said...

I went through this recently. It wasn't her writing style that ticked me off. I won't mention names either but it was a story about a woman in love with a man. She won't even date other guys waiting for this bonehead to grab a clue. He won't date her because he doesn't feel worthy of her. That's a general enough plot. I'm in LOVE with the story and then they get together, half way through, and all the sudden... his pal shows up and the three of them jump in bed together. I was like WTF??? I was so upset, so shocked, hell, I'll even upgrade to HORRIFIED that I couldn't finish it at first.

I have no problem with M/M/F but when you take a storyline they had and then have 2 people who are like that just shrug and hop into bed with a third party... WHAT WAS THE AUTHOR THINKING??? I love her work so I cooled down for a few days and it took me 3 more attempts to try to get through it but the entire book was ruined for me. I buy her books in print when they come out so double buys I guess, ebook first then print. That is ONE I WILL NOT BUY in print. I am hoping to forget it in the series entirely. LOL. I will read her other books. I hate when that happens. My sweet, totally devoted to each other story turned into something icky. It was the most uncomfortable sex scene section and I had to force myself to read it like a horrifying car accident. LOL. Great Post!!!

Madison Scott said...

I understand. While it really bums me out when I read a book by one of my favorite authors that I just can't get into, I know that its bound to happen. We can't like everything and while I might not like it, others might. Everyone misses once in a while, like you said. Great topic.

Valerie Douglas aka V.J. Devereaux said...

I had one book by a favorite author that I actually did *throw* across the room. It was part of a series, and it literally ended mid-story, forcing you to wait until they released the next book. I kept reading, watching the pages dwindle, thinking, she's got to resolve this soon.... and then it was, to be continued...I never bought the rest of the series

Regina Carlysle said...

Such a sore spot. I swear. There is one very popular author I just dont' read anymore. Loved her series for awhile and then she failed to give me what I wanted/needed for characters I'd grown to love. I haven't bought the last three books of her series because I already know I'll be let down.

And what's up with turning everything into a menage? Yes, I know menage sells but if it doesn't fit the characters you just shouldn't do it.

Jake - but not the one said...

At least so far, the authors I truly enjoy have not written books that I would throw across the room. Yes, ones I won't reread, but that's all. Now, new authors it is a different story. If I am 150 pages into a book and I just don't like the writing or the story or the characters - I put it down and forget it.

Redhot said...

Ok.....well you asked so here it goes.....Here lately I am having a problem with my leading ladies in my books.....too much angst between the two leads gets a little annoying at times. I have a recent episode where I picked up a book had no idea it was a series read it and when I was done I felt dirty. None of the characters had a lick of decency. Well thats a lie 1 man did out of the entire group. I go to leave my review and realized that the two people mentioned on the blub had been built up for several books so her loyal readers where waiting patiently to find out that not only do they not get together they are just sleeping around on each other.

The other is actually a series I loved from the first time I read the blurb of the first book. Book 6 comes and around and I am so excited to find the author destroyed the whole premise for the entire series, in essence showing me how little they meant to her. I have not been able to read anymore of the series and I won't start her new series because I am scared to get let down like that again.

I just felt like my favorite tv show that I had loved from episode 1 was cancelled and just never came back......

Anne Rainey said...

Laurann--Throwing in the 3rd is just strange with a plot like that. Odd.

Madison--This might very well me just me. I'm watching to see what others say about this book. :)

Anne Rainey said...

Valerie--I read a 'to be cont'd' book once, but it was a suspense. Seemed to work in that situation, but a romance would just be too odd...

Regina--Menage? LOL Well, I do like reading a good menage. Guess it's personal preference. :)

Anne Rainey said...

Jake--I've read books that didn't hold my interest. If it's the first book I've read by that author I will usually give them another shot. If two of their books are boring, then I'm pretty much done.

Jenn--what a huge letdown!! To invest time in a series only to have the author crush everything is so upsetting.

Readers put a lot of time in a series. The characters become real to them. When the 'BIG' book that everyone has been waiting for comes, then falls flat, it's sad really.

Jolie Cain said...

I often wonder what would happen if the very first book I read by an author is his/her worst book. Would I ever read another?

Fedora said...

Oy, this happened in the middle of a series by one of my favorite authors; it's probably just me, but the heroine in the book just bothered me intensely. Her actions/thinking bothered me so much that I couldn't get past thinking she was insane. (OK, I concede that I might be reacting a little strongly!) Anyway, it got to the point where I couldn't stand to keep going, and I actually didn't finish that book. I still haven't. I read the rest of the books in the series and loved them; I still read this author's other books. I figure at some point I'll go back and try this title again to see if maybe I was just reacting that way *at that time* or whether I still can't stand this book :)

Chandana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chandana said...

Hi,

Here's a blog that will provide for your spiritual needs.

This blog has messages from the Holy Scriptures, taught by the Spirit of GOD.
These will teach us how to have GOD in all the aspects of our lives and allow GOD's rule over every matter.

www.holyoneofisrael-reconciliation.blogspot.com

Have a blessed reading.

God bless you.

Regina Carlysle said...

Oops.Didn't mean to say I don't like menage. I actually like it and have written some. I just don't like menage for the sake of menage. There has to be a good reason for it.

Bekki Lynn said...

I'm in the middle of a series and yeah, I agree, authors are allowed misses. However, in the last couple of years, it seems there are more misses - about three books a year including her out of series books.

It's frustrating. Sometimes I just can't finish the book; others time it takes me months. When she's on - I can whip right through the book in an afternoon.

As an author, I take special note of why it missed the mark for me, add it to my ever growing list and try to be careful with my own work. Learn from the misses and hope the next one is a keeper, that's about all we can do.