Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Third times a charm?




There are certain books I have the hardest time figuring out where to start. It's not this way with every book. Some of the time I just KNOW and its right from the beginning. Then there are times like with my current book where I just can't figure out the right spot. I've started over three times and finally I THINK I have it. But then, I thought I did the other two times too until I kept writing and realized it just wasn't right. lol.

The beginning of the book is so important. I love the feeling of starting something new, but its scary too. If you don't find that right spot, say the right words to get the readers attention than why are they going to keep reading? Not only that, but it's so important to me how I introduce the reader to my characters. I want them to come off just right and if I don't have that...DELETE. LOL.

So, lets keep our fingers crossed that the third time will really be a charm. I'm really excited to actually get this story moving!

Do you struggle trying to figure out where to start a story? If you're a reader, what books have had some of your favorite beginnings?

8 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

Starts are HARD! My big problem is deciding whether to start in HER POV or HIS POV. Once I've made that decision then I'm good to go. I find middles the hardest for some reason.

BrennaLyons said...

I just keep writing. Eventually, the right start appears in the mix. Then again, I don't write linear.

Some good starts? One that sticks in my mind is LADY OF THE KNIFE by Janet Miller. It starts with the hero tied to a tree and his kidnappers saying, "I think we should kill him."

Brenna

Fedora said...

Beginnings are tricky! I'm not a writer, but just from those times when I've had to write (assignments, etc.), I know how hard it is to grab attention and introduce and excite all at the same time!

I'm blanking on specific beginnings I've loved, but I know I tend to like those that make me wonder or make me curious as to what's happening... And if you can make me laugh, too, well... I'll likely be reading the rest of the book :)

Anne Rainey said...

Starts are hard, definitely!

Brenna--Now that's a great start! Must read that book!

Madison Scott said...

Looks like I'm not the only one!

That sounds like a cool opening, Brenna.

Anny Cook said...

Yep, me too! I'm going to check that out.

Janet/Cricket said...

Lady of the Knife? That's a book that's been out of print for a long time. I wanted to rewrite it to improve the writing and plot... One of those early efforts that needs to be revisited.

But I love it that Brenna remembers the book! Thanks!

Janet Miller/Cricket Starr

Lissa Matthews said...

I have this happen quite a bit...not knowing where to start exactly because not every book begins at the beginning.