Tuesday, April 26, 2011

More Easter Update


Piggybacking on Tess's post from yesterday here but I couldn't resist talking about our Easter holiday. Maybe because it was a tad more memorable than most. Long ago we stopped with the whole dying-eggs thing, the baskets and fancy Easter outfits. Our kids are really not 'kids' anymore so we tend to have a nice dinner and that's about it. Fine with me. I've always thought the most important thing about holidays was having family together to celebrate the moment.

This year we had a double whammy with Easter and Mr. Regina's birthday. So along with the nice Easter meal we had birthday cake and gifts. The day started out nice enough. My son and daughter were home and the moms came over. The day began overcast but since no rain was in the forecast, I figured all the 'little egghunters' would have a pretty good time in backyards and parks all over town. That wasn't in the cards. The storm hit unexpectedly as the skies opened up and we were pelted with hail for the next three hours. I didn't think it would be all that bad at first but when the pea-sized stuff turned into baseball sized hail we knew we were in trouble. Me and Mr. Reg's cars were safely in the garage but we had four cars in the driveway that got serious damage. We lost the glass from a patio table and leaves were stripped from trees to litter the ground. We had some flooding too. Alarms went off everywhere at tornadoes touched down around us. Fairly scary way to spend our Easter Sunday but, in the end, everyone was fine and there wasn't any significant damage other than to cars. Yesterday we noticed signs for local roofing companies up in a number of yards and we heard the body shops and insurance companies stayed busy fielding claims for car damage. Odd way to see a boost to the local economy, isn't it? Well, life happens and it's best to be ready for anything. Just hoping we have less drama on our next holiday.

15 comments:

Harlie Williams said...

Morning. I'm just glad that no one got hurt. Cars and tables can be replaced but people can't.

Hang in there......

anny cook said...

Wow. Not the way you want to liven your holiday! Happy Birthday to Mr. Regina! Hope y'all do fine now...

Harlie Williams said...

By all accounts are Easter was boring. Church, then brunch at church with an egg hunt afterwards. Went home, napped and had an early dinner with an egg hunt for our son. Even went to bed early. I know, boring but very relaxing.

Molly Daniels said...

Wow...and here I am griping about a little ceiling damage. (Hangs head) Glad everyone's okay, and remember: Furniture and cars can be replaced. People cannot.

Allie Standifer said...

Only you, Regina! Tell Mr. R I said happy belated b-day. Try to relax and recoup today and tomorrow. The end of June will be here before you know it :)

Katalina said...

That Easter storm sounds pretty violent. Weather wise it sounds like a bad-egg Easter and I'm glad you're okay.
XXOO Kat

Regina Carlysle said...

We were thanking our lucky stars, Harley. It just all came on so suddenly. I worried when I saw it headed your way.

Regina Carlysle said...

Anny, at least it was memorable, huh? Don't think I'll be forgetting this one for awhile.

Regina Carlysle said...

BTW Harley, boring is better! LOL

Regina Carlysle said...

siiiiigh. Sorry about the ceiling damage Molly. What a pain. And EXPENSIVE pain at that!

Regina Carlysle said...

Yep, Allie, today I've been trying to just settle down some. Guessing I'll relax more tomorrow but I'm counting the days until the end of June and our little get together.

Regina Carlysle said...

Thanks, Kat. It was pretty dang frightening but others had much worse problems than we did.

Tess MacKall said...

Well, I know the bad weather we had here was certainly a boost to the local economy. Sad but true.

I'm just glad you're all right. And as long as there was plenty of chocolate, I'm sure the kids didn't care. LOL

Hope Mr. Regina had a nice birthday!

Eileen said...

Now that was one crazy Easter Sunday for your family. Just glad no one got hurt. Cars and tables can be fixed and replaced. Happy belated birthday!

Marie Rose Dufour said...

Sounds scary and expensive. I'm just glad that no one was hurt. I can't even imagine having to worry about a tornado! Shiver. It surely be one that you all will remember.