Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Flying by the seat of my pants



I want to talk about plotters or pansters today but not only in regards to our writing but our daily lives as well. I have a friend, she isn't a writer but in her daily life she's a plotter. Each night she make a list of everything she has to do the next day. If she's going shopping, instead of "flying by the seat of her pants" she goes in with a specific list of everything she'll need on her trip. And I can tell you, she always gets everything done! No matter how big that list is she manages to make it happen.

I run my daily life pretty much the way I write. I have a basic idea of what I need to do then I run with it. That works for me. Nine of out ten days I get done what I'm supposed to get done. It works with my writing too. I start with an idea. I may have a few scenes in my head from the beginning but mainly I just start writing and let the story lead me.

If you're a writer are you a plotter or a fly by the seat of your pants kind of gal? Do you work the same way in your day to day life? If you're not a writer are you a lister? Do you schedule out your days before hand or just kind of go with the flow?

On a side note I got a new cover. What do you think?

9 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

I am sooo much a pantser. I'll jot down a few ideas about things if I think I might forget or something. I do that with "real world" stuff too. Just little lists but most of the time my world is chaos and I seem to thrive on it.

Molly Daniels said...

Me too. I once made a list of everything I wanted to accomplish that day, and was so stressed when not everything was finished!

But then I quit putting so much pressure on myself and stopped making the lists. Now I only make lists when I'm traveling:)

And when it comes to the shopping...prices are so damn high that I HAVE to make a list, estimate the overall cost, and then pray like mad we come in somewhere around that number. If I'm by myself, I can usually do it. If the hubby or the kids tag along, we're guarrenteed to go over budget! And then the spouse starts getting depressed again...and when he's upset, NO ONE is happy!

Anny Cook said...

Gorgeous cover.

Pantser all the way. Lists don't seem to do much for me. Once in a great while, I'll make a list to help me organize my thoughts, but that's it.

Anne Rainey said...

what a great question. I'm not sure what category I fall in. I tend to be a plotter with my writing. I always know ahead of time how the story will go, I write up an outline and I know from day to day what I'm writing. However, with real life I'm a bit different. I don't like to be taken by surprise. Don't drop a 'I need you to take me to practic today' at the last minute. I NEED to know what I'm doing from week to week. But, when I'm having fun, then I like to just flow with the moment. Like shopping with my daughter yesterday for her birthday. All I knew ahead of time was that we would be shopping, where and for how long was totally her choice. :)

Congrats on the HOT HOT cover, Kelley. Damn, that's a good one. You and Regina are getting such great covers!

Unknown said...

In life I'm a plotter in writing I'm a panster. LOL. HOT cover!

Kelley Nyrae said...

Nothing like a little chaos to liven our lives, huh, Reg?

Prices are crazy, Molly. I need to start making lists when I shop.

Thanks Anny!

Thanks Anne. I'm so happy with the cover. Glad you had fun with your daughter yesterday. I like your writing process. Even the way you come up with the blurb and title first. It makes sense.

Thanks Selena!

BrennaLyons said...

Great question.

In writing I am a COMPLETE pantser. I don't plot, plan...I don't write linear...I don't know what's coming on the next page, and Crazy Ivans just appear and get woven in. Though I may THINK I know where something is going, I don't really know, until we get there.

In life, I'm pretty much a pantser. I note important things like doctor's appointments on the calendar. I have a watch with five daily alarms that gets people up, to school and home from school on time. Other than that, I just go with the flow.

Brenna

Tonya said...

=) Definitely a plotter. I enjoy a little chaos....ok I relish it but I'm still a plotter and make it work girl!

Great cover Kell. I give it 2 thumbs up! Congratulations!!!

Kelley Nyrae said...

Brenna I don't know how you do it! That's amazing. I'm more of a panster but I always have a basic idea of where the story is going and a few scenes in my head.

Tonya, no, you a plotter? LOL. Just kidding. I don't know how you do it all.