Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Whip out that wallet...the Holidays are COMING!

Already you say? The holiday season is almost here and I don't care which holiday it IS, they tend to cost a bit of money. Maybe none are up there with Christmas but in the end it all adds up.

So, why am I talking about holidays? Guess I start kind of thinking about it around the first of October. In September most of us are getting into the swing of a new school year and kid activities and...oh yeah...GETTING OUR LIVES BACK. By the time October gets here things have settled down some. I don't know about you, but my kids are already dropping hints about things they might like for Christmas. Christmas???? Okay, kids, lets do Halloween first.

As an adult I feel weird saying this but Halloween is the coolest holiday and I've loved it since I was just a kid and when my little ones got "spooked out" for Trick or Treating, I swear I got as big a kick out of it as they always did. Even now, I have a steady supply of candy corn around the house and my daughter and I have already been discussing what we'll do in the way of decorating this year. I have a spooky mat that I place at the front door and when the kiddos step on it, it howls like a wolf. Also have some cuter than heck pumpkin and ghost candleholders that I set out every year. Most years, I put on a witch hat and black clothes to answer the door to the trick or treaters.

Do ya'll make a big deal out of the holidays and which are your favorite?

Now I know this sounds strange since most claim Christmas as their favorite holiday but I'll say straight up it isn't mine. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas but I don't DO STRESS all that well and I find everything leading up to Christmas a little too much. My favorite holiday is actually Thanksgiving and I'll tell you why: the air is crisp and cool and the scent of home cooked food is in the air. I love to cook and it's become a tradition for my daughter and I to pull out the old family recipes. Naturally, I know them all by heart now but she doesn't and she's still learning about this whole "cooking thing". Every year, the meal I serve is the same because it includes the very favorite dishes of everyone I love. Maybe I love it for the fact that it's not about rushing or gift giving but about family and being together. One nice get-together meal before the rush of Christmas descends. To me, Thanksgiving represents home and comfort and that's why I love it so much.

So what do you do to get ready for the holidays and what are your favorites? Any special holiday memories you'd like to share? Mother Regina would love to hear them.

9 comments:

Anny Cook said...

I think I like New Years Day the best. We make a little special dinner for the two of us. Watch the Rose Bowl Parade. And then while he "football"'s all afternoon, I read or play or whatever.

Christmas is past. It's just the two of us with a new year in front of us.

Regina Carlysle said...

I know what you mean about New Years. Everyone gets a second chance, ya know? Sounds corny maybe but I love that idea.

I always fix ham, black eyed peas and cornbread on New Years Day (a southern tradition) and we FOOTBALL all day. I'm a fan, so it's a fun thing. We flop in PJ's all day and yell our heads off.

Unknown said...

I am an absolute Halloween girl. Big shock there huh? LOL.

The weather is cooler, the kids are sugared up, and honestly so are me and the Mr. Scary movies, popcorn balls, copius amounts of sugar, candy apples, cider...*sigh. I just love fall, and October is just a big relaxing lead up to Halloween. Love it.

This year...and Regina I know you will love this, the Mr and I are going to dress up as Palin and McCain for Halloween. How funny is this going to be? Don't worry, there will be pictures. ;)

XoXoXo
Dakota Rebel

Regina Carlysle said...

Oooh. Can't wait to see the pics, Dakota! Yeah, I love it too. Also love to send myspace comments at Halloween. They have some really cool pics available.

Kelley Nyrae said...

LOL, Dakota. Great idea.

I love this whole time of year. It's my favorite. All the holidays, happy people, cooler weather, LOVE Christmas music. I love it all.

Regina Carlysle said...

It's hard to decide isn't it? The weather is such a huge part of it too. I just feel soooo much happier when the weather is cool. Don't know what it is about it.

Deb said...

I love the fall but Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.
Halloween is fun and I love it with my kidlets even my 51 yr old kidlet.
But Thanksgiving is a quite holiday for us. It is the last time we get to see our families through the winter. Snow country here people..lol
Rita, Christmas as a child was not muc fun for me always woke up Christmas morning in a different relatives house.
That is why Bob and I make it a point at staying home for Christmas, the girls love it.

On the kidlets about Christnas, I found a note for 3 days now stuck to my bathroom mirror from Ash.
Asking for an IPod.lol

Anne Rainey said...

I don't go as nuts over Halloween as I do Christmas and New Years. The kids do get dressed up and they do go trick or treating, but that's about it. On New Year's we have a party with the family, kiss at midnight, drink a little wine and let the kids stay up way too late for their own good. LOL

Regina Carlysle said...

Don't know what it is about Christmas, Deb, but I always get a little melancholy. Maybe things are more emotional during those times and I tend to think about those who aren't with us. We are ALWAYS home for Christmas.

Thanksgiving isn't the most common "favorite" holiday but I love it. Football, great food, being with family.