Monday, September 29, 2008

I laughed until I cried!


Sometimes you just need a good laugh. Last night as I was tucking my youngest, Alisha, into bed and she said something silly, we both started cracking up. For several seconds we just sat there laughing. Soon, tears were streaming down our cheeks. Alisha can do that to me though. No matter how crazy or hectic my day, she can always make me laugh. I love a kid with a sense of humor, don't you?
Our lives get so busy sometimes that we forget to stop and enjoy the silly things. We had an esp. busy weekend here. We had a birthday party on Saturday for our daughters, which always means lots of cleaning and cooking. By the time Sunday rolled around I was exhausted! First, I sat and watch Alisha play her new X-Box 360 game, Bourne Conspiracy. It's always a riot to watch her shooting up the bad guys. Pretty soon I'm sitting there yelling, "watch the guy in the corner, he's coming at you! Shoot him! Shoot him!" LOL We get really into our games around here. After a few hours of that, we watched the movie Juno. Okay, you've got to be half dead if that 16 yr. old pregnant chick doesn't make you laugh out loud a few times. It's a great movie, with a wonderful message too. But for a really good laugh, I rely on my books.
  • Erin McCarthy's, The Pregnancy Test. I had people turning and staring at me when I read that book. OMG, it's freaking hilarous!
  • Linda Howard's Open Season. The scene where Daisy has the box of multi-colored condoms...LOL!!
  • Linda Howard's Mr. Perfect. Some of the scenes with Sam and Jaine are just downright funny. I'll never forget the part where she's sneaking a peek at him out her kitchen window.
  • Of Course the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich is funny I hear. I've not read them yet, but I plan to. My mother raves about them!
  • Lori Foster has had some pretty funny scenes too. Too Much Temptation for one. I loved the cute interaction btwn Noah and Grace. Truly one of my favorite books by her.
  • Another by Lori Foster is in the Fallen Angels anthology, Uncovered. The scene where The P.I.s realize who's nude butt they have plastered on the wall. LOL I could SOOO feel their embarrassment!!
The problem is, I'm looking for more 'laugh out loud' romance stories. Any ideas?

14 comments:

Kelley Nyrae said...

Close Encounters of the Sexy Kind by Karen Kelley. My husband kept looking at me like I was crazy I laughed so hard. Haven't read the other books in the series but that one is really funny AND sexy.

I know there are more but I have to think on it a bit. I'll be back when I can think of more. Oh, and I've been told Getting Lucky with Luciano has some pretty funny scenes :)

Tonya said...

Thanks for giving me a few new books to add to my list.

I enjoyed The Pregnancy Test too! That was my first Erin book. =) Too Much Temptation was cute. Grace herself was funny! Getting Lucky with Luciano does have some funny scenes.

Recently, I enjoyed Cindy Kirk's One Night Stand. It's cute, funny.

Dana Marie Bell said...

I love just about everything Lori Foster puts out, and I can't wait until My Man, Michael comes out!

If you like paranormal, there's Kerrelyn Sparks. My favorite by her is The Vampire Next Door. Vampire fashion desginers: perfect for a Project Runway fanatic like me. But the entire series by her is very funny. =)

If you prefer contemporary, try HelenKay Dimon. Right Here, Right Now was hysterical!

Ebook Addict said...

I think the funnies part of Mr. Perfect is when Sam and Jaine are getting it on hot and heavy out at the car and she tell him she is ovulating and he doesn't get it and she says start to expand - I can't remember the exact words but the sam says something about his little swimmers or soldiers aren't getting anywhere near her over active egg:-) ok now your going to make go get the book and read it again -- just so I can remember the exact words:-) lol I think Mr. Perfect is my favorite book by Linda Howard:-)

Regina Carlysle said...

Just about anything by Susan Anderson, Rachel Gibson and Sandra Hill just frickin' cracks me UP. In Rachel Gibson's Simply Irresistable, the tough, alpha hockey player is getting to know his little girl. The scene where he's playing Barbie Beauty Shop just cracks me up. He's putting itty bitty Barbie heels on the doll and walking her around. Hysterical. Sandra Hill's time traveling Vikings and her red hot Cajuns have me ROLLING on the FLOOR.

There's nothing in the world like laughing until your Crying and your sides hurt. It's the best.

Anne Rainey said...

Thanks for the rec Kelley. I've never read Karen Kelley. I'll see if I can find it at my bookstore.

Hi Tonya!--Cindy Kirk sounds familiar. I'll look her up. :)

Anne Rainey said...

Hi Dana Marie--yeah, I've been a fan of Lori Foster for several years. I can't wait for "My Man Michael" either! Thanks for the other book recs!

ebook addict--I LOVED "Mr. Perfect" and I got my copy signed by the author too. Even had my pic taken with her! It was so neat! I think I need to re'read both "Mr. Perfect" and "Open Season". LOL

Regina--okay, I'm sold. I gotta read that Rachael Gibson now. LOL That does sound cute!

N.J.Walters said...

I was going to suggest Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard and The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, but they're already on your list.

Lisa F. said...

Hi Anne! Sandra Hill is hilarious - one of her recurring characters is Tante Lulu from her Cajun series. She is fantastic! Karen Kelley's alien series also had me laughing out loud. Good luck finding something.

Laura J. said...

You really need to read Dee Tenorio's Betting Hearts. There is a scene with her brother that will make you snort your drink, so I suggest not drinking during that entire book. It is probably one the funniest books I've ever read and I have it on very good authority that there is a sort of sequel in the works!! Also there is a book by Barbara Elsborg called Perfect Timing. If you love British comedy, then you will love this. In a way it reminded me of the movie A Fish Called Wanda where seemingly simple situations become hilarious.

I have heard Erin's next book is very funny too and this is from someone who does not always like the funny books.

I have never tried Linda Howard's books so I'm going to have to look for those now.

I LOVE romantic comedy it will always be my first choice when it comes to books and movies.

Kelley you need to pick up Karen's other books. I love those. I think the third was my favorite and I can't wait for the next one. If you haven't read her Double Dating With the Dead you need to read that one too.

Judith Leger said...

I love reading a book/story that will make me crack up! My three sons has that ability. You have to love life and enjoy everything about it. Otherwise, you'll become cranky and loose all your imagination. My family keeps my imagination going strong!

Fedora said...

SEP and Jennifer Crusie are usually good for making me laugh. And recently I read Beth Ciotta's three--Jinxed, Charmed, and Seduced. My kids kept asking me what was so funny, and I had to keep saying it was the book but I couldn't read it to them.

Oh, and Kate Angell's baseball books--Strike Zone, Curveball, and Fast Brea--those were hilarious, too.

Oh, and if you're looking for non-romance, Dave Barry's written a couple that are a total hoot--Big Trouble; Tricky Business; The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter, the Miracle Christmas Dog...

Hope you find something that tickles your funny bone!

Anne Rainey said...

N.J--I guess great minds think alike, huh? LOL

Lisa--I haven't read a Sandra Hill book for a long time. I'll be sure to check out her website.


Laura--Dee is an author I've never read. I'm jotting that one down. Thanks!

Anne Rainey said...

Judith--My family keeps me strong too. And kids are great, they'll keep you from taking life too seriously. Last night my daughter and were cracking up again and it felt so great to let all the day's stress go and just enjoy my daughter.

flchen1--thanks for the recs!