Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Computer Hell

Guess you can tell by the title of this post where I AM right now. LOL. Last night we had some "weather" and the electricity bleeped out for just a second and it seems that was just long enough to MESS with my computer. ARGH!!!!!! Tried to log onto the internet for hours last night and today isn't any better. Now, I've finally gotten a little window of opportunity but I don't know how long it'll last.

I remember years ago when I was first learning computer stuff. These machines just scared me to death because I just knew I was going to do something wrong. Writing on a computer was pretty cool once I got the hang of it though. Someone told me how to back things up so I figured I was doing it right. Uh uh. Not right. So yeah, we had a computer crash and I lost ten chapters of a manuscript...and they weren't short chapters either. Nope, they were about twenty pages each. I remember just CRYING for DAYS. The entire thing had to be re-written. Now I back everything up and lately I've been using the little flash drives. Wow. Talk about easy to deal with.

Guess everyone has computer promblems at some point. What's the worse computer experience YOU'VE ever had? BTW...don't know how often I'll be able to comment. Currently holding my breath hoping my good luck holds but I know something is wrong with this thing!!!

GRRRRR!

6 comments:

Amy Ruttan said...

I always back up. I had a similar experience. Luckily it wasn't the whole thing, just the last two days of work. still it was a lot.

And I cried and cried.

Kelley Nyrae said...

Ugh! Sorry for the computer problems. That is a major bummer. Hope everything gets fixed soon.

Anne Rainey said...

Damn, sorry Regina. There's nothing more annoying than having computer issues. We NEED these things!

And I generally remember to run a backup once a week, but I admit I've been lazy lately. You've just scared the shit out'a me though, so I'm in the process of backing everything up! LOL

Isabel Roman said...

Computer problems are the worst! I sympathize (with cyber chocolate, even). I'm completely anal. I've heard too many horror stories about lost chapters, scenes, or sometimes entire manuscripts. No, can't deal. I'd break down; it wouldn't be pretty.

I back up on 4 places. See how anal I am? 1 desktop, 1 laptop, 1 USB jump drive, 1 email so it'll always be saved in my email just in case something catastrophic happens. In which case I might have other things on my mind but one never knows.

Emma Lai said...

The worst thing that ever happened to me was when I lost my term paper the day before it was due. I didn't even have time to cry, but I wanted to. Took me 20 hours of nonstop typing to get it written again. Now I back everything up.

Good luck!
M

Regina Carlysle said...

Seems to be just a dumb internet problem. We have several computers but only MINE is screwy. DAMN. We're iced in and the whole town shuts down so I think I'm stuck for awhile anyway.

Oh, I'm anal too. Completely. After losing those chapters I learned quick. I burn to a cd and use a flash drive and email stuff to myself so I always have it.