Saturday, August 16, 2008

Memories and melodies



A couple nights ago my DH was flipping through the channels when I happened to catch a flash of a face I'd grown up with. It wasn't someone I know personally but in some ways I feel like I do. You see he's my mom's all time favorite singer and every time I hear one of his older songs I'm automatically transported back to my childhood. I quickly as my husband to go back down. I see the "shit" look on his face. I think he thought he got away with it but he didn't. After surfing down a few channels, there he is, a much, much younger Bob Dylan.

LOVE this man's older music. Every time I hear Mr. Tambourine man its a Saturday morning when my single mom is off from work. We're blasting the music through our little apartment while cleaning. Blowin' in the Wind we're taking one of our mountain drives exploring Durango Colorado, or Hurricane I'm thinking of injustices and talking about the story of a boxer with my mom.

Music is so special that way. I love the way the beat of a song, the flow of lyrics can spark a memory from your past. I can't listen to Bob Dylan without memories of hanging with my mom, of when she a little lighter, of when she liked to have more fun.

Is there any music that sparks memories for you? Transports you through time? Another one for me is All My Life by KC and JoJo. My husband proposed to me while we listened to that song so it will also forever be engraved into my mind.

12 comments:

Anne Rainey said...

I do this too, Kelley. When I hear any Conway Twitty song I think of my mom humming along to his songs as she cooked, he was her favorite singer. When I hear "I Want You to Want Me" I think of the time Les sat in my apartment and sang it to me while I dressed--it became our song. When I think of the song "Luckenbach Texas" by Waylon Jennings I think of my brother and his girfriend from years ago, it was their song and he'd play it for her on the guitar. When I hear the song from Top Guns, "Danger Zone" I think of the time my boyfriend broke my heart because he'd been cheating on me.

Music can have such a profound feeling on you. It can take you back in time, it can make you cry, it can make you feel sexy...it can even spark your muse. :)

Great post Kelley!

Regina Carlysle said...

Bob Dylan is a genius. Memories? Sting and The Police, Lynnard Skynard "Sweet Home Alabama", Jim Morrison. OUTKAST, The Killers, Jimmy Eats World, OFFSPRING, all remind me of the many trips to tennis tournaments I took with my kids over the years. They were both nationally ranked and I traveled with them everywhere.

The Beetles, Neil Young,Crosby Stills and Nash is "cuddle up with honey" music.

Anny Cook said...

Cherish by the Association... I can tell that I'm a bit before y'alls time.

Kelley Nyrae said...

Anne, Aw, love that Les sang that song to you. I have old boyfriend songs too, lol.

Regina, isn't Dylan great? I remember really wanting this one dog when I was a kid. He was a stray but he loved me. Always hung out at our house. I named him Dylan so that my mom would let me keep him, LOL.

Anny, music is music though. I love music from so many different times.

Molly Daniels said...

I think Tricia Yearwood summed it up very nicely...'The Song Remembers When'.

Neil Diamond growing up. Disco music when I was 12 and could hardly wait to be 18. 'Crazy For You' by Madonna; 'Careless Whisper' by Wham, and anything by Alabama bring back wonderful college memories.

Kelley Nyrae said...

Molly, I've never heard that song by Tricia Yearwood. That is perfect.

I love Crazy for You by Madonna. Great song.

Amy Ruttan said...

Amazed by Lone Star was my wedding song, and any Brooks and Dunn because seeing Brooks & Dunn was my first concert ever and my hubby took me on a date to their concert.

As for childhood-and I just realized that all the songs in my memory are country-anything from Hee Haw, particularly Johnny Cash. My Dad is an uber fan of Johnny and Hank Williams.

He still remembers a concert from back in the 60's in Toronto, when the concert hall was outside and it was pouring rain. Johnny and June were in a bandshell and everyone else of course is soaking wet (I've seen the pictures), well Johnny says "Since you folks were good enough to come out and listen then I'm gonna sing in the rain."

So Johnny steps out into the rain and then June walks out and Johnny tells her to stay back and Dad said she shook her head and said "If you're going out there, then I'm going too."

So I have a huge soft spot for Johnny and June. My Dad loved their music so much ... I grew up with the Man in Black, Folsom Prison, you name it.

Anything Grand Ole Opry and I'm transported to my childhood.

Molly Daniels said...

OMG! We went to a free REO Speedwagon concert when I was pg with son #1, and it began to rain just as they were doing their encore. Kevin announced, "This is for all you fans sitting on the lawn" (us included) and launched into 'Riding the Storm Out'. It's the one and only time I've ever seen my husband dance!

Kelley, it came out in 1993 or 94. Maybe even 1992...

Unknown said...

Isn't it great how music can bring back memories? Not that I was a Bob Dylan fan, but I must be of your mom's generation or not too far off. I loved Blowing With The Wind and still sing it.

Kelley Nyrae said...

Amy, love, love, love that story about your parents at the Johnny concert.


Ashley, you don't like Dylan?

barbara huffert said...

Thank you Anny. I was feeling pretty darn old since I saw Bob Dylan live...with the Grateful Dead. Hm, someday I should list all the concerts and events I've been to. My stack of ticket stubs is at least 5 inches tall.

There are so many songs that bring back memories throughout life, aren't there?

Regina Carlysle said...

I got to see both The Stones and Eric Clapton in concert. FUN!!!!