Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tattoos and Taboos

Well, I don't actually have a damn thing against tattoos but I thought this guy was yummy, so here we go! LOL. I actually once thought tattoos were kinda gross. Just shows how much times have changed and yes, we usually change with them.

My ideas of male and female beauty have changed too and I believe that's a good thing. Don't know if I'm just getting older or folk are just more accepting in our society these days. We're more color-blind (thank GOD) and look at differences in people as a good thing not something to be avoided. Okay...down off my soapbox now but this actually ties into my little theory.

Lately, I've learned a valuable lesson and that is to say...never say never. I NEVER in a million-gazillion years thought I'd write erotic romance. Now, my stuff has always been hot but never the kind of stuff that'll have you breaking out in a sweat or steam rolling from you ears like I write these days. Back before I started on this journey, I had some rules and looking back, I have to shake my head and roll my eyes. Yeeeaaaah. What was I smokin'? The more erotic romance I wrote (and read) the raunchier I got and that's a fact.

If you read romance and yes, I KNOW you do, what are no-no's in your book? These days the absolute guarantee of a rejection is pretty much standard with most respected pubs. They don't do rape or other violence against women, bestiality, and other ICKY things. That's the norm. Lately, male/male romances have gained in popularity. I have a gay male friend who writes gay romances and he's an exception writer but I've never actually read a totally m/m story. Many of the m/m titles today are written by heterosexual women. Have nothing against that and I'm not a homophobe by any stretch but I wouldn't feel comfortable writing such a story. Why? Because I know zilch about it. Nada. I'm a firm believer in anyone's freedom to read and write what they choose but I'm a moron about gay sex. I know tab A goes into Slot B and that's pretty much it. I can't begin to know what prejudices and troubles follow a gay couple and how they deal with the social issues/injustices of the day.

Well, I'm back to that never say never thing again but I just don't see me ever writing m/m romance unless there's a whooooole lotta research in my future.

A real turn off to me is heavy duty bdsm. I'm talking the chains and whips and other things that make me think.....OOOWWWWWW. I'm not a big fan of pain and stuff that involves blood and masochism bothers me. Aside from that I'm fairly open to interesting sexual scenes and I'm certainly not adverse to my hero whipping a couple of ties out of a drawer and doing a little bit of tie me up, tie me down but, to me, that's not the same thing as this Master/Slave stuff. I know it's supposed to be a game but it just sees a little much to me.

What turns you totally off in current fiction and what really lights you up like a Christmas Tree? Hmmm. Don't have to stick with the sexual aspect of things here. See? I'm broad minded and like to hear all views. Hate books about Doctors? Dislike stories about tornados in Kansas and little dogs named TOTO? We all have our little things? I've told you mine so now tell me yours.
What is taboo in your book?

14 comments:

Phoenix said...

To my way of thinking, the man and the tattoo are great. I love the tribal designs but not on me. Just to look at and admire.

Cindy said...

Hey Regina,I think a real taboo for me is the same as yours,heavy bdsm,I don't mind love pats,& the idea of being tied up really does something to me,but if a man took a whip or chains or something like that,he'd better look out,that is so not my idea of fun.
thanks ,Cindy

Kelley Nyrae said...

Good Lord that is one HOT guy with the tattoo. Love that. Tane from The Art of Love has Maori body tats. LOVED writing scenes about them :)

Regina Carlysle said...

Nope. No tats for me either. Not quite my style!!! LOL They look great on a good lookin' man though.

Regina Carlysle said...

Oooh, Cindy. I'm sooo with you on that. Light stuff...cool. Heavy stuff? UH UH.

Regina Carlysle said...

SNICKER. Yeah, Kell, I thought of Tane when I found that pic last night. HOT.

Anne Rainey said...

I love the tattoos. Very sexy. I guess I draw the line at the heavy duty pain stuff too. It's really not my thing. Also, FEM DOM isn't my thing. I guess it just does nothing for me.

The things that rev my engine. Alpha males for sure. Those dominant personalities really trigger something in me. Also, graphic language. I like that when I'm reading. I don't care for the flowery words.

Great blog, Regina!

anny cook said...

Hmmm. I like a beta guy with a hit of alpha when the going gets tough. Really not into sheiks or actually any scene where the woman is less than a partner. Don't like whiny women.Don't like any character that's TSTL...

Regina Carlysle said...

Oh yea. Too Stupid to Live and whiners!!! Ack!!!

Cassandra Gold said...

I won't read secret baby stories. They drive me insane.

I also hate it when the man is too bossy, probably b/c I am very independent. Or as hubby would probably say it, stubborn and bossy! :P

Regina Carlysle said...

Oh, Cassandra. I hate secret baby stories too. I remember an RWA convention workshop hosted by harlequin and they were going on and on about how popular these stories were for them and I had to think...HUH????? You'd think readers would want something different.

Fedora said...

Eek, I think you hit on some of my don't-like-to-reads--hate the whole secret baby thing, hate the TSTL heroine (or hero, for that matter), hate the conflicts that could be resolved in five minutes if the hero and heroine would actually speak openly to one another... And I'm with Cindy, I think heavy bsdm would make me pretty uncomfortable. It doesn't seem sexy when a lot of pain is involved, but that's clearly something I don't really know too much about either.

Regina Carlysle said...

Yep, those are mine, too, flchen. I almost forgot about another one...there's a very famous author who writes a lot of Texas-setting books. She writes the meanest, nastiest heroes I've ever read. These guys will have wild monkey sex with the heroine and then immediately treat her awful. Is she REALLY supposed to LOVE this dude??? Seriously. I quit reading her because of this and because she always had her Texas characters going to dances and they'd be "square dances". You know, with the big, stick out skirts and can cans. YUUUUUCK. Lots of people love her, but I can't go there.

Unknown said...

Tattoos are fun. I want to get a small one.

Taboos for me would be:
1. Cheating on spouses (or any significant other).
2. Heavy BDSM is ok ONLY if all parties willingly agreed to it. Forced seduction to the point where you really have a captive and Stockholm syndrome is not willing agreement. I can’t read about a lot of torture, I can take a small amount if it helps the story.
3. TSTL is always a complaint of mine. I’m giving a fav series one last chance; if it doesn’t get better then it will be my last book for that series. I’ve noticed that it is more common in a series where the same people are always the main focus, as opposed to just being connected, like the Dark Hunters.